Wednesday, June 11, 2008

FROM THRISSUR TO BANGLORE

Such is the twist of fate and the horrors of truth that often truth becomes stranger than fiction. Now this is not an unbelievable story or anything. This is what just happened to my life for the past one week.

I had got selected in IBM GBS through the campus selection from my college NITC. I was planning to go for higher studies. So this job seemed to be a good option as a buffer. And the brand name IBM installed so much confidence in me that I didn’t or rather didn’t try for any other company. When one has one job in hand, why bother with one more.

And this went on till the start of March when we received news that IBM is not planning to take people this year. Rather its like an extension of our offer letter. We have the job, but not now. There were so many of us, dejected and cursing IBM. But I took it as my fate and tried to think optimistically. If the offer letter comes late, then I will have time for studying for MBA which was my long term goal. And hence I started a leisurely life, going to parties, studying here and there for CAT, visiting relatives, playing badminton and table tennis and visiting friends etc.( like the trip in the previous post)

It was on 22st of may. The time was around 5.55 pm. I hadn’t checked my mail for two days. I had given my resume in different job websites. My father asked me to check if any mail from any company had come or not. Was thinking of checking it in the night. But by some sheer luck I decided to check then itself. And what did I find? There was this mail from IBM sent the previous day informing us that there was an aptitude test on 24th May at Cusat, cochin. And I had to confirm it by 6 pm that day. I replied immediately and informed warrier too. All night I was wondering about what the test will be.

Friday evening warrier came to my house and we decided to go together the next day. Since they had mentioned about refunding, we decided to go by ac coach in train. We got on from Punkunnam and sat in ac. We reached Ernakulam on time and made our way to cusat. We were skeptical about what we will find there. After walking a long long way in and out of cusat campus, we reached the place at last. There were many students present there but no IBM official. We waited and waited and waited. The test was supposed to start at 11. But due to some reasons it started only at 1. So we went to virus’s house to kill sometime. Sandesh and Ephrem and dj were there from my college (Btech). There was Jathin das too but we didn’t see him after sometime.

The exam was easy one. It was a 15 minutes exam and then there was an English test too. We had to call a no and talk to a pre recorded voice. All this went well and were informed that the results will be announced within 15 days. All well and good. But there was no time to spare because I got a call from IBM the next day afternoon informing me that I was selected and had to join on Tuesday. And that was 2 days later!!

Everything after that went in a hurry. Shopping, buying, packing, meeting relatives, getting blessings, everything. There was no time for anything. I got a ticket in bus barely and that too back seat. So I somehow made it to banglore and reported for job on the required time and date.

I just wonder. Just one week ago I was in the mood of Kerala trip and now I am a regular employee working 9 to 6. All of this in just one week!!

4 comments:

Quest said...

That would have made all your plans go topsy-turvy....thrown suddenly to a busy life from araam env of home...
Have a good time with the work :)

Drunken Mind.. said...

nice to hear that u ultimately got into IBM..what abt warrier...many of my frendz are stil trapped in IBM..not ure of their future..good that u got right in to it...congratz..

Hari Vishnu said...

yea it all happend too fast dint it.. well atleast ure safe and working in ibm now..

FreeBird said...

You really missed Kerala trip part 2 buddy. It was fun at vasu's and donna's house. If ever the great viajero accepts my willingness to join the eenitc blog, i will post the experience there!