Monday, July 14, 2008

The first salary

Now all the freshers who have started to work and those who are about to work, the one significant day of their life is the day of the first salary. I got mine on 30th of June. I am not going to disclose how much it is (BCG guidelines) but it was a great moment for me. The whole of the money, my own money, much awaited money.
The day started with anticipations. Rumors spread around like
1)IBM is fooling us,
2) we will get only half months salary
3) those without pan card wont get salary (I didn't have a pan card at that time)

I guess that day might set a record in terms of net banking traffic in HDFC. All of us were constantly checking out our accounts every five minutes. the day wore off from morning to afternoon but still no money. Then around 2 pm Rakesh ( fellow IBMer) pinged me on Sametime ( chatting) ," Da, how much did u get?"

Guess I didn't hear much of what was being taught for next one hour as I was busy calculating and re calculating whether what they had credited to my account was right or not. The whole of money, my own money, much awaited money.

Now what to do with that money? Should I spend it all leaving just the bare minimal for survival. Pictures of new mobile, contact lens, new bike and new dress floated before my eyes. Then came sound of a harsh ring which destroyed my reverie. It was my father. He called me to congratulate me and some advices for spending the money. And at last he said to deposit a certain amount to mother's account.
The palace of cards that I had built earlier broke down. Evil thought came to my mind. Why should I give them my money? I earned it fair and square. Why do they need my money? They have all the money they want? But reluctantly I send some money to them (half of my total salary). The matter was still going on in my mind. Last week I went to my grandparents place. Even there I gave some amount of money to my grandfather, a sum of Rs 1000. Not that he required it but because my father insisted on it.
And then he remarked,' It is a real luck for me that I am alive still to see not only my son give me money he earned but also his son is giving me money. I don't need any money now. But the fact that he has given it has really made my day.'
' When I was working, I couldn't even make enough to fill my stomach. I had worked a lot and hard for many years before I could save some for my parents. when ever I was drawn to bad company or any unwanted commitment, I thought about my parents, how they had raised me all these years, how they look upon me and they care for me. It is this single thought that kept me going. And I hope the same will keep you going. Never leave behind your principles. There are three types of needs:
1) wanted needs
2) needs
3)unwanted needs
When I was working, the situation made me look after only my wanted needs. There was no money for my needs and unwanted needs. But now you work in a better place. You can take care of your wanted needs and needs because today's society demands it, and is needed for your own status and prestige. But never ever go for unwanted needs as they will pull you down. Keep this in your mind and work hard. My blessings will always will be with you. And as long as you have your parents and elders blessing, no one can harm you.'

These words had a profound reaction on me. All my complaints and sadness went away instantly. I saw the truth in his words and absorbed all of it. Guess one has to have a moral value and a path of truth to achieve what they want in their life.

9 comments:

Quest said...

So when and where is the first salary party? ;)

palace of cards is built with patience and persistence, isnt it? :)

Brittz said...

lol.. nice entry.. yeah.. tat was words f wisdom...

FreeBird said...

It is always good to be responsible. Your blog throws a new light on spending your salary. But I do think that the first few months' salary can be used for unwanted needs too [:P]

Hari Vishnu said...

true man, very true.. it was wat was going on in my mind here too.. but i havent got the first salary btw..

our parents literally live it out for us.. sometimes i have seen my parents sacrifice their 'needs' to take care of mine.. and i guess now its our turn to repay and replay wat they gave us..no doubt a certain portion of it must be kept aside for them, no matter how rich they are or whether they need it or not..

cant wait to get my first scholarship salary !

Drunken Mind.. said...

Ofcourse we need to have our responsibilities...but i think that should not in any way make us twenty years older now itself..have fun man..

Dhan said...

Chechiyumayi ennanu first salaryde santhosham pangidunne?

VV$ said...

@ dhan
come to bangalore.

Wetfingers said...

be careful on what you write about your employer..in the terms these MNC's are strict...i swear. Ask hari he'll tell, you...

VV$ said...

@ wet fingers
i haven't mentioned anything which is confidential. the BCG guidelines are for that.. i have looked into that